Credit for Prior Learning
Our Credit for Prior Learning program is designed to assist adult students in obtaining credits for their previous work and life experiences. The many benefits of taking part in Credit for Prior Learning include:
- Credits for Prior Learning may be used to fulfill the core curriculum requirements and electives.
- Credits for Prior Learning, in some cases, may be used to fulfill program requirements.
- Credits awarded through the Prior Learning Portfolio offer a significant cost savings over traditional course work.
Students in a degree program at Stevenson University can pursue Credit for Prior Learning through the following three options:
- Prior Learning Portfolio – Portfolio credit is earned not for the experience you have had, but for what you have learned from that experience. The writing of the portfolio and the supporting documentation are the evidence for that learning.
- Departmental Challenge Exams – The content of departmental examinations is determined by the academic division chair. Students must qualify to take exams by demonstrating that they have substantial experience and expertise in the subject area.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DSST exams – CLEP, a program of the College Entrance Examination Board, is a nationwide system of credit-by-examination. The University grants credit to SU students earning Stevenson University designated passing scores on CLEP exams. Download the CLEP manual (PDF). The DSST testing program allows students to receive college credits for learning acquired outside the classroom. Download the DSST manual (PDF) by clicking here. Please consult with the SU Registrar’s Office to determine what exams are transferable.
If you have questions about the program, please call toll free 1-877-531-7118, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.